These classes are designed focused on a specific area of figure skating and help the skater to progress more quickly.
These classes focus solely on spinning and give skaters a chance to work on difficult elements and learn skills beyond their test level.
- Bronze Spin - Open to all skaters who can execute a one-foot spin (3 revolutions) This class will work on spins in the basic positions of upright, sit and camel.
- Silver Spin - Open to all skaters who have passed Free Skate 3 and mastered upright spins. These skaters must be able to successfully execute a beginning sit and camel spin. This class will work on basic spin proficiency, back spins and basic combination spins. Skaters should have instructor/director approval to move to this level.
- Gold Spin - Open to all skaters who have passed Free Skate 7 and have mastered all basic spin positions on both feet. They can hold basic positions for 6 revolutions. This class will work on variations, flying spins and obtaining spin levels. Skaters should have instructor/director approval to move to this level.
- Platinum Spin - Open to all skaters who have passed Free Skate 8 or higher and show mastery of all basic positions on both feet (8 revolutions). This class will work on achieving multiple IJS levels in a difficult variations, difficult flying spins and introduce change of edge spins. Skaters should have instructor/director approval to advance to these levels.
Jump Technique lessons are open to all skaters who have passed Free Skate 4 and can execute a loop jump. Jump classes help skaters develop the skills needed for Axels, Double, and Triple jumps. Exercises to increase rotational speed and air position will also be covered.
- Jump Technique 1A to 2T (Formerly Axel Technique) - This class is for skaters in Free Skate 5 through 7/8. This class will focus on jump exercises to promote good jumping technique as well as exercises specific to Axel, Salchow and Toe Loop. Some jumps will be rotated during class.
- Jump Technique 2Lo to 2A - This class is for skaters in Free Skate 8 and up with Skating Director's permission. This class will focus on jump exercises to promote good jumping technique as well as exercises specific to Double Axel and other advanced double and triple jumps.
Moves in the Field
Moves in the Field lessons help to prepare skaters to test the U.S. Figure Skating edge tests called "Moves in the Field."
- There are eight levels of skill building, beginning with Pre-Preliminary.
- Open to skaters who have passed Free Skate 3.
- Some levels with similar elements will be combined, skaters will be grouped according to level.
Low Edge is open to skaters in Basic 4 through Free Skate 1. Skaters work on edge and balance exercises.