Front Door Program
The Front Door Grant Program was launched 2019. The application process occurs at the beginning of the year and closes March 1.
The application deadline for the 2023 program has passed and applications are no longer being accepted this year. This program is subject to funding availability. No decisions have been made yet about program availability for 2024.
2023 Front Door Virtual Lottery
was held on Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 6:00 p.m.
The City informs all applicants of their selection status within two days of the virtual lottery. The drawing can also be viewed on YouTube by clicking the video below.
The intent of the Front Door Grant Program is to pay a portion of project costs to Coon Rapids property owners who will make certain exterior improvements to the front (street side) of their home, increasing its curb appeal, which benefits the entire community. There are no income limits to participate in this program.
Between $1,000 - $5,000. Homeowners must pay at least $4,000 of their own funds to be eligible to receive the minimum grant amount of $1,000 from the City. Grant dollars do not need to be repaid.
Grants will equal either 15% or 25% of the applicant's individual project amounts depending upon the scope of work. If the scope of work includes qualifying projects from both categories, then the grant amount will be determined individually in each category. The combined grant amount must be $1,000 or more (maximum $5,000) to be eligible. Cost of tools or tool rental will not be eligible for grant dollars.
- 1 to 4 unit buildings, owner-occupied, single family, townhome, twin home or condo.
- Located in Coon Rapids, MN and has homestead status with Anoka County Property Records. Relative homestead is not eligible.
- Current on Anoka County property taxes.
- Property value is less than $400,000 based on Anoka County's estimated property value.
- Projects must include at least one item from the Beautification Project list.
- Projects must be visible from the street in front of the house.
- None of the exterior projects are covered, or will be covered, by an insurance claim.
- None of the exterior projects will be part of a Home for Generations II grant.
- Work cannot begin until the required paperwork has been submitted to the City and a Grant Award Certificate has been provided to and signed by the homeowner.
- Applicant was not a Front Door Grant recipient in 2019, 2020 or 2021. If you applied in the past but did not receive any funds, then you ARE eligible to apply again.
Beautification Projects (25% grant)
*Applicants REQUIRED to include at least one project from this list.
- Front door, storm door, and/or garage door
- Sidelight windows by front door
- Columns at front door
- Covered front porch
- Brick, stone or shakes
- Alter roofline on front of house
- Permanent landscaping (includes tree trimming, removal/replacement of overgrown or dead items, planting new trees, shrubs, plants and/or flowers). $500 minimum if this is your beautification project.
- Driveway, sidewalk (repair or replace)
- Window boxes, shutters (add or replace)
- Screening of utility boxes and/or garbage and recycling cans
- Fence (add, repair, or replace)
Basic Projects (15% grant)
*These are optional projects an applicant may include.
- Chimney repair, tuck-pointing, repointing
- Deck - front or side yard - visible from front of house (repair or replace)
- Porch - front or side yard - visible from front of house (repair or replace)
- Retaining wall (repair or replace)
Landscape Architectural Consultation: If landscaping is part of the project, a 2-hour at home consultation with a landscape architect is available. Consultations are subsidized by the City and the homeowner pays a $25 co-pay.
Financing: The City has low-interest loans available to help finance the balance or your project cost. Starting in January 2023, the interest rates are now available at 2% and 4% interest, depending upon household income, and without income limits. For more information on financing options, contact the Lending Center at the Center for Energy and Environment at their website or 612-335-5884.